Wednesday 7 December 2016

The One That Got Away, A Couple Of Charity Shop Finds and Complete Disaster.

Charity shop shopping seems to have become such a huge habit in the past six months. In Wolverhampton my “fix” was a 20/30 minute bus ride away, in Evesham it’s just a 10 minute walk (if that), so it’s a no brainer to go mooching once or twice a week.  Evesham also has two largish “antique” type places, plus The Georgian House, which I think does clearance, but the clearance seems to come from some wonderful old places.
the one that got awayIt will always be the shop where I had to let my dream mirror get away, I had to see sense as it was absolutely mahoooooooooosive and was so heavy that it would have undoubtedly pulled down my lounge wall had I attempted to put it up!!! I admit to going all glassy eyed when I saw it, as it’s very much like the mirrors I had admired (and secretly stroked) in Marc’s London flat. 
Huge ornate mirrorThe ornate gold frame was also mirrored, it was gorgeous!  I so wanted it and I had even got the price down everso from slightly from £180 to £160 with free delivery, before I got sensible and with regret, let it go!
beaded tealight lampI now keep my finds small! Like this beaded tea-light lamp above, which cost me £1.  Not everyone’s taste I know, and in the past I wouldn’t have looked twice at it, but in the New Year, when I am having compartment shelving built  at each end of the spare bedroom, it will be perfect, as I want it to have a eclectic “Bohemian” feel, hark at me (!!!) with, hopefully, many more colourful finds.IMG_9254And, as you can see it, it’s perfect with the bedding I have already bought from Next.
bedside carafeBecause I am planning the room, probably more than any other room, I have been going out with a list of things to look for, a bedside water carafe and glass was on such a list and the above couldn’t have been more perfect for just £3.50. The small, pressed glass tray was bought on an earlier “expedition” to the same shop for 50p, just the marriage I wanted.
On my list at the moment is a strip of rich purple velvet to go across the end of the bed, but I think I may have a long patient wait for that and some tall, old, purple glass candlesticks to go on, what the moment is my only disaster (for now).
  • IMG_8949The mirror for the room came from Dunelm, I loved the shelf and the fact that you can also hang things on it, like a guest towel, toiletry bag etc. (the original plain, white knobs have since been replaced by my trademark “diamond” ones), but the colour was wrong ……… oooooooo-wer
IMG_8962IMG_8965
So……… I painted it with some chalk paint from the bottom of a tin, surplus to The Lovely Laura’s requirements that had seen better days.  NOT A GOOD IDEA.  The paint had got thick and the finish was absolutely awful, it had gone well beyond it’s use by date!!! I should have stopped after the first few brush strokes, but no, I preserved till it was all covered, aghhhhhh!
Fortunately, being chalk paint it comes off pretty easily, I have just got to do it!!!! Hopefully I will get it done before Christmas when I have a free afternoon.  Then, I am planning on painting it “properly” in a similar colour, but in a matt gloss.  Fingers crossed it works this time.

5 comments:

Cheryl W said...

I LOVE your beaded lamp, and it looks so perfect with your bedding. Your mirror will be gorgeous one day, too. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

PharmacyMichele said...

Love the beaded lamp. I'm sure the mirror will look lovely when you've re-painted it.

Michele

Pamela said...

Green with envy that you have the Georgian House so close. Like you I would love mooching around it on a regular basis.

marc said...

i love those shops they have great bargains and fantastic finds from old bikes for £10 great furniture and so many lovely nick naks cant wait to come again and vist ,and yes i love the lamp and yes its just like the ones i use to make so i will have to make you one with all the old beads and crystals i have we will find a lamp shade you like the mirror your sort out as you say when you have a bit of time big love marc

Di said...

Your mirror wil end up fine for sure! Lucky you to haveso many wonderfil mooching places round about.

Hugs

Di xx